Sunday, December 9, 2012

DIY Holiday Monogram

Can you believe it's Christmas time already? If my name didn't give you a hint, I am a December baby. And there is nothing I love more than the holiday season.

Cold weather clothes, oldie Christmas songs, twinkling lights, the smell of pine trees, cinnamon, hot apple cider..need I go on??

 The decorating at my house starts immediately after Thanksgiving. I've started a tiny tradition where I make a homemade decoration every December, and this year I decided on this holly berry monogram for our front door.
 I am NOT a crafty person (by choice. My mom is the queen of all things crafty.) so I was happy to find a great tutorial on how to make this little door decoration.

Materials needed:

A yard or so of burlap ribbon

Lots of berries

Wooden letter of your choice

Hot glue gun

I got all of my materials at my local Michaels.

I pulled clumps and individual berries off of their branches and glued them to the letter. You want to make sure there aren't any gaps, so keep gluing until you're satisfied with the look. It took me more berries than I expected to make mine feel full.

RIP to the J. Crew catalog that was my workspace.


Then I used the burlap to tie a bow for it to hang on. Luckily the letter P lends itself to being easily hung. For letters like M, that aren't so well endowed, I suggest stapling two pieces of burlap to either end of the letter in the back, creating a triangle when you tie the bow on top.

And there you have it. I am in love with mine. It adds an instant burst of Christmas to the front door, and is also a little more personal than the traditional wreath.


The Petersons are ready for Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! that is super cute! Looks like a LOT of berries! Did it take you forever...???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Crystelle! (your name is spelled so pretty btw!) It actually didn't take very long at all. I used about four branches of berries, and it took me a few hours of gluing/watching TV ;)

      Delete
  2. LOVE the berries! Very festive! I would be thrilled to have you share this at my party going on!

    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/12/homemade-by-you-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, it turned out so beautifully!! Thanks for linking up with us at the bloggers for christmas link up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful! I might even be able to do this, and I am really not talented when it comes to crafty things :)
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - Hope to see you there again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Noelle,
    This is so cute. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    This weeks party is live. Here is the link to the party
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/5-fun-posts-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above
    Joye and Myrna @ The Busy Bee’s
    Linda @ With A Blast

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...