Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake.

Breakfast is my favorite meal hands down. I get it from my dad. The rare times he would make dinner they would always a breakfast dinner of some sort. Pancakes, toad in a hole, omelettes, I loved it all.

Honestly, I think its my favorite meal because of its playfulness with sweet and savory. You cant hate a stack of maple-smothered pancakes with a side of crispy bacon. You just can't.

So on those quiet Sunday mornings, after I've caught up on all of my beauty sleep, I love to whip us up something special.To start off our Sunday on the right foot ;)



Lemon and blueberries are a match made in heaven. Tart lemon zest with sweet bursting blueberries just make the perfect pair in this coffee cake. I had some extra of both that I didn't want to go to waste, plus the almond streusel topping in this recipe just had me sold.


The original recipe uses blueberry preserves, but I loved using the fresh berries I had on hand. I would recommend the preserves to those who really love their blueberry (I'm a more of a strawberry person myself). My version had the surprise of a busting blueberry in every other bite.

Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake

adapted from My Baking Addiction

For the Cake

zest of one lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

 

For the Topping

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cold butter

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest; mix with your fingers until the sugar is slightly moistened and fragrant. Add flour, baking powder, salt to the sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Add butter, egg, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla, mix to combine.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan; take care to spread evenly. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter, again spreading evenly.

In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of the batter.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! Can't wait to try them!

    Oh and what's toad in a hole?! I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Courtney! Toad in a hole as i know them is when you cut a hole in the middle of a piece of bread and fry an egg in the hole. yum :)

      Delete
  2. That looks sooo yummy! Breakfast is by far my favorite too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious. Perfect breakfast recipe! I would love to have you come share some of your great ideas at the link party on ‘Or so she says…' There’s one going on right now (and every Saturday – Tuesday). Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite things rolled into one! I know this was delish! Visiting from The Dedicated House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I'd love to have you join my PIN MEme Linky Party because this is very Pin Worthy! I'm going to pin it now! FYI~ When I clicked your P icon to follow via Pinterest it wasn't right.

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Norrey!! I love the crumbled nuts on top too! This looks like the perfect breakfast treat! Thanks for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a moist and delicious looking cake!
    I would love to have you share this or any other recipe of yours at Wednesday Extravaganza - my Foodie Link Party with the chance to get a lifetime feature on my Wall of Fame! Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/11/wednesday-extravaganza-3.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...