Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple Buttercream

I promised myself I would not post anything pumpkin related until I could actually consider it Fall. 

And this past week Orange County broke its summer fever- there even was a breeze! Hallelujah! 

Friday I even got cocky and wore a long sleeve shirt. 

So with these whoopie pies I officially declare it the season of Fall. woo!

Is is whoopie or whoopee? What do you think?


I made these for my sweet friend Neremiah as a late birthday gift.  I love her. to death. She is the sweetest person on this planet. She's a foodie, her name starts with an N (think about it, there are not that many N names!)--a match made in Heaven.

I didn't plan on making these. I actually had my heart set on these gorgeous brownie sandwich cookies that I found, but the results were less than pleasing.


You win some you lose some right? I was able to laugh it off, and Torrey will eat all of my failed creations, but I have to admit my heart sank a little every time he asked for a "brownie cookie gone wrong." haha. And I seem to lose more when it comes to chocolate recipes... 

So it was onto plan B. This was my first attempt at whoopie pies, and I was experimenting a little with the maple buttercream, but I knew Neremiah would appreciate a foodie experiment no matter the outcome. 

I was surprised with how wonderful these were. The pumpkin cookies are soft and pillowy, almost cupcake-like, and the maple buttercream is just the perfect complement.

You know how I know when a recipe is good? When I find Torrey sneaking into the kitchen, to steal one or two, or five. He said they "taste like Fall" and that they are his favorite of goodies I've made yet! (and i make a lot of goodies)

When I caught him eating the last few, and I gave him the "I think you've had enough look, " he said "I cant help it if they taste so good!"


Add pumpkin whoopie pies to the favorites list.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple Buttercream Filling

 

Ingredients

Maple Buttercream
adapted from Bakingdom

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 lb. (4 cups) confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons heavy cream


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
from Dessert For Two
 
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
1½ cups canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
1½ teaspoons ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 325°P. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.

Make the cookies: In a large bowl, blend together brown sugar and oil with a spoon until well combined. Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and continue to stir until smooth.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, and then add to the wet ingredients, stirring only until combined (be careful not to overmix).

For best results, spoon batter into a piping bag with a large tip and pipe mounds of batter (about 1 tablespoon each) of batter onto the lined sheet tray, about 3 inches apart. (If you don’t have a piping bag, use two large spoons and space the batter in the same way.)

Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes, until they begin to turn golden. Let cool completely before sandwiching cookies together with the filling.

Make the Filling: Beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar until combined. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and syrup. Add the heavy cream and whisk on high for 4 minutes.

Cookie sandwiches will keep in a sealed plastic container at room temperature for a few days.

12 comments:

  1. Delicious! I've never made whoopie pies, but will have to try this recipe :) I know the feeling of relief from the heat! The weather is so nice now (finally!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I co-hosted the Return the Favor Blog hop last week and am just now getting around to checking out the link-ups and following because I was sick. :( Feeling much better now!

    Those look absolutely delicious!

    Hope you're having an awesome day!

    xo
    alexis

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! Whoopie pies are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just been thinking about making pumpkin whoopie pies. Thanks for the recipe! These look really great! I can almost smell them baking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments!If you tryvthemvlet me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like plan B! These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious! I ought to pin it to make it later ;)
    I stopped by via a linky

    A bientot
    http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo! I'm glad you've finally decided it's Fall so we can enjoy your delicious Fall recipes :) Those look soooooo good! Thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing. I like this recipe so much that it will be FEATURED this week on Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. The party will be live tonight!! www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up. You're being featured on Wednesday Whatsits!
    http://www.whitelightsonwednesday.com/2012/10/wednesday-whatsits-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also featuring this recipe on my Facebook page tonight. Thanks, Nichi http://www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them! You simply can't go wrong with pumpkin!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there this week again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...