Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars



I love me a sweet and salty bite. Like sprinkling sea salt on chocolate chip cookies. There's nothing better.
I also love me a healthy snack. I am always looking for a way to perk up our daily lunches. It  would be  so much easier to give in and throw some chips in a bag, or just buy lunch instead of taking the time to make something healthy and flavorful. But that is just not how I roll.

I wanted to find a granola bar recipe that met a few criteria. 1) No added sugar. I wanted sweet stuff in it, but not necessarily the bar itself. I lied. Unless brown sugar doesn't count as sugar. Food blogger fail.  2) Quick and easy to make. I have a theory that the garage below my apartment is in actuality an open furnace, because no matter how long I blast the a/c, it will not cool down. So quick to mix in a bowl and bake was a must. 3) It had to be customizable. This recipe allows you to add up to 2 and 1/4c of whatever mix-ins you prefer.

Hello delicious. Salty, sweet, crunchy, chewy, the perfect afternoon snack.

Homemade Granola Bars

adapted from My Baking Addiction

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Up to 2 1/4 cup of mix-ins. I used:
     -1/2 c. chopped almonds
     -3/4 c. dark chocolate chips
     -1/2 c. chopped dried apple slices
     -1/4 c. flaxseeds
     -1/4 c. salted chopped salted pistachios


Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla.
3. Mix well using your hands, add in cherries, chocolate chips and almonds. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden around the edges. Cool on wire rack for about 30 minutes before cutting. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting because they will crumble.
 

Don't forget to support Team Continuum in their wonderful cause! Thanks friends :)

12 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love your suggested mix-ins. Can't wait to try this.

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-week-7.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Puanani. Those look good! I didn't realize you were such a good cook. What are you going now? Did you find a job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks meg! I am working full time as a pharm tech. Still looking for a big-person job, but im not worried about it. the Lord will provide :) i'm glad to know you guys are doing so well!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy and delicious, I can't wait to bake it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. These look awesome and I am loving your blog! You guys are such a cute couple too!! I am a new follower and would LOVE for you to join my site as well! :)

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look delicious thanks for sharing. I love making Granola bars and these are our families favorite http://katescreativekitchen.blogspot.ca/2009/03/sweet-and-salty-granola-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try these! I made a fun oatmeal bar recipe from Whole Foods this afternoon, but it is more cakey than "bar." I need something I can throw in lunchboxes and in my backpack for a hike. Thanks for sharing at Get Schooled Saturday:)
    xxx
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great and perfect for my kids!! Thanks for linking to Foodtastic Friday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great!
    I'd like to invite you to link up with my Super Link Party on Wednesday. :-)
    I hope to see you there. :-)
    ~Susie~
    http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking everywhere for a healthy granola bar recipe (I just blogged about wanting to make healthier treats for the kid's lunch boxes!) I think your recipe is perfect-I'm pinning it now and will try it asap!

    I actually shared a recipe for pumpkin spice muffins that my whole family loved so please pop by if you have a minute. Perhaps you could even link up this recipe to my Say G'day Saturday party which is on now!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in oz

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! I made this recipe for granola bars: http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2010/11/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-granola-bars.html
    It was pretty good, but I feel like you could make it way better

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...