Monday, July 30, 2012

Homemade Wheat Thins

Photo Jul 30, 11 14 32 AM
This is slowly turning into a food blog-- I can't help but share when I come across awesome recipes.

These come from The Baker Chick, one of my favorite blogs to stalk. Wheat Thins are one of the things I can't keep in the house. These slightly sweet, salty little crackers are ridiculously addicting. Half the box is gone before I can get the groceries put away (oops!). 

So why spend the time and effort to hand make them when I can grab a box at the Target down the street? 1) Because I love a food challenge 2) They were so good! (I'm munching on them as I type..)

Try these. They are simple to make and a great snack to add to my husbands lunches (if there are any left!)
homemade wheat thins
1 1/4 cups (5 oz) whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for topping
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Add the flour, sugar, salt and paprika to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.  Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl.  Then, using a pastry blender, two knives, (or your hands,) mix the butter into the dry ingredients until it is coarse and crumbly.  Combine the water and vanilla in a small measuring cup.  Add to the butter/flour mixture and mix until a smooth dough forms.  If your dough is still dry, add a little more water.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces.  Work with one piece at a time, keeping the others covered with a towel so they don't dry out.  Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll the dough into a large rectangle.  Lift the dough and turn it as you roll to ensure it's not sticking.  You want to roll the dough as thin as possible, try to make sure it's 1/16-inch thick at most.  If you want all of your crackers to be perfect, trim the edges of the dough so you have a rectangle with even sides.  Use a pizza cutter to cut the rectangle into squares about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.
Photo Jul 29, 5 29 29 PM
Transfer the dough squares to the prepared baking sheets.  You don't need to leave much space in between the crackers - they don't spread at all in the oven.  Sprinkle the squares lightly with salt.  Repeat the rolling and cutting process with the remaining 3 pieces of dough.  Save all of your scraps under the towel; reroll them all at once to create a final batch of crackers. 
Photo Jul 29, 5 04 07 PM

Bake the crackers, one sheet at a time, until crisp and browned, about 5-8 minutes.  Check the crackers at 5 minutes, and if some of the thinner ones are browning too quickly, remove them to a plate and return the remaining crackers to the oven to finish baking.  They can burn quickly- so keep a close eye on them!  Once brown and crisp, transfer to a plate to cool.  Store the crackers in an airtight container.


I Heart Nap Time Positively SplendidPhotobucket Lovely Crafty Home

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to share this recipe as these crackers look wonderful!
    I always like to have crackers at home and I love to bake them myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you MADE these?? I am so impressed! I am a wheat thins addict too. You would think that after having them so much in my life, I'd be sick of them, but no. Definitely not the case. Can't wait to make my very own!! Thanks for sharing girl. New follower! I absolutely love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

    PS now following you via GFC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wheat thins! Did you find that they were less $ to make them vs. buy them? Thank you for sharing and for linking up at Simply Helping Him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Misty- yes! these were actually much cheaper. The only thing I had to buy was the whole wheat flour. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing I am going to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! I'm going to pin these!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...