Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fourth Food- Homemade Oreos




Torrey loves Oreos. every time we walk past the cookie aisle at Target, he gives me the can i? look, and I give him the do you really need those? look, and he walks away sulking . and i feel like a mean mom wife.
when we go to BJs, there's not even a conversation about it. at least half of that pazookie is Oreo. or else.
So when I was reading one of my favorite foodie blogs, The Baker Chick, and a homemade Oreo recipe popped up, he leaned over and said "..you could make those.."

so on our Wednesday Fourth of July I fed his addiction.

I was slightly intimidated upon approach. I wanted them to be the best darn Oreos in the world. But they really were fool-proof. Just make the wafer cookies, make the cream, cookie + cream + cookie = oreo. you can do that right? right.  

 This little homerun is officially a staple in my future cookbook (you know..the one that I'll have when I'm famous...) I can't wait for the perfect church function or party to whip these out at. People love when you stick a "homemade" in front of anything. It immediately sounds like you've slaved away all day, when really it took you maybe two hours?

I had a last minute stroke of genius when I realized I should make red white and blue frosting. You could do orange frosting for Halloween, red and green Christmas Oreos, the possibilities are endless!


Noelle Notes: -I don't have a food processor, or an electric mixer (enter sad face here). But the batter worked out fine with my hand mixer.
-I was too lazy to pipe my frosting. It would probably have looked nicer if i had. I'll try harder next time. 
-I was a little disappointed in the frosting because it doesn't really taste like Oreo cream. Next time I'm going to experiment with some other recipes to find the perfect filling.

Homemade Oreos
Source: The Baker Chick
Makes 25 to 30 sandwich cookies

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want the cookies- I used 1 cup.)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.
In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. These cookies will spread a lot so give them plenty of room! With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9-11 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments. They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...